More CFExpress (CFX) Card Experimentation – PCB Design for a Passive CFExpress – M.2 Adapter

As I mentioned in a previous post, it seems that it’s totally possible to convert a NVME SSD to a CFExpress Card. So here’s my first take on that. J1 is the PCB edge connector for the CFExpress card, J2, J3 are FFC (ribbon cable) connectors, and J4 is the M.2 connector. I’m 99% sureContinue reading “More CFExpress (CFX) Card Experimentation – PCB Design for a Passive CFExpress – M.2 Adapter”

The Mysterious CFexpress Card Specification / Pinout

It seems like CFexpress is going to replace CFast and CF card as the new de-facto DSLR storage medium, at least for Japanese camera manufacturers. The Internet kept its mouth very shut about what this CFexpress Card actually is, with specification no where to be found. However, piecing a few separate pieces of information together,Continue reading “The Mysterious CFexpress Card Specification / Pinout”

DIY $10 Slack Notification Light

While being isolated at home, my company uses Slack more heavily than ever, and that Slack chime is starting to get old. What if there’s a physical light that can notify me instead? I have a Smoko ambient light and a few of Digisparks lying around screaming “use me!”. So I started the project usingContinue reading “DIY $10 Slack Notification Light”

Fixing a Clothing Rack during COVID-19 Lock-down

My clothes hanging rack is broken for a bit of time has developed a crack. It’s obviously time to fix it. I already have a piece of aluminum pipe on hand that should serve as a clothes hanging pole. The only problem is that I don’t have the hardware to mount the pole to theContinue reading “Fixing a Clothing Rack during COVID-19 Lock-down”

The Making of the Library Occupancy Estimation System, Part 5 – the Enclosure

It’s almost time to deploy the ESP8266s. I switched from the previous board to wemos mini lite, a smaller board with a variant of ESP8266 (ESP8285). The ESP8285 includes a on-chip 1M EEPROM, reducing the cost. The most important difference is that the newer boards don’t have pre-soldered pin headers. Desoldering pins from the previousContinue reading “The Making of the Library Occupancy Estimation System, Part 5 – the Enclosure”

The Making of the Library Occupancy Estimation System, Part 4 – the Frontend

The only part missing was a front-end. It is 2017, and splitting up front-end and back-end is now a must. This is even more true in this project: serving html and other resources from my free Heroku server does not sound like a good plan – with only 1 web instance, the server can beContinue reading “The Making of the Library Occupancy Estimation System, Part 4 – the Frontend”